Saturday, February 21, 2015

T-Shirt Yarn

Before I start getting too crafty this semester I thought it would be time saving to make up some homemade t-shirt yarn to set aside for future DIY t-shirt projects. By chance I had the back of a t-shirt left over from a previous project (see T-Shirt Canvas) and was wondering what I could do with it. To make t-shirt yarn a shirt with a little more give or stretch left to it will work best.

The amount of time invested in this DIY project from start to finish was about 20-30 minutes. For a full shirt I would image it taking closer to 45-60 minutes, depending on how big it is. 



Supplies Needed

  • T-Shirt
  • Scissors







Getting Started







Start by removing the hems of the shirt at the top and the bottom. Since you probably don't just have the back of a shirt, go ahead and take off the sleeves at the seem and separate the front from the back along the seem, if there is one. 





Measure, and outline if needed, 1 1/2 inch lines in a zig zag pattern. Start the first line at the edge and stop 1-1 1/2 from the edge of the other side. Mark it with a horizontal dash. The second line should start  1-1 1/2 inches from the edge and continue all the way to the other side.


Remember to measure twice and cut once. On one side, cut the lines that start at the edge and stop at the horizontal dashes. 






Turn the shirt around and repeat the process on the other side. When you are finished you will have one long fabric strip. 





Next, start stretching the fabric strip in small sections at a time. The ends will begin to curl in. Be sure not to stretch or pull too hard. When you are finished you have homemade t-shirt yarn! Wrap it up and set it aside for your next project.   



As always, let me know if you have any questions and happy crafting! 




Photos by: Brista RobinsonR

7 comments:

  1. haha that's so cool I wish I knew about this when I was younger I would have loved to try it. Not so much anymore I a short concentration span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't take much time, and there are so many things you can do with the yarn!

      Delete
  2. I loved the photos very easy to follow and understand. I think our professor had a good idea about turning this in to a slideshow, and have the captions on screen. This will help get rid of scrolling. Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and the slide show idea worked out much better!

      Delete
  3. This is so funny, My Girlfriends mom totally does this. They work so well, my cat loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever get a cat this is what I'm gonna do!

    ReplyDelete